Steamer Trunk Restoration Options
Steamer Trunks and Foot Locker Keepsakes can be restored and enjoyed with various options.
We first of all need to set aside similar items:
- Cedar Chest, all cedar lumber, sometimes metal wrappings: exterior only strip and refinish varnished items $500/850 usually clear natural.
- Cedar/Hope Chest, veneered exterior: exterior only strip and refinish varnished items $700/1175 stained and lacquered.
- Tool/Blanket Chest, all lumber, rustic, sometimes exterior metal strapping: exterior and interior strip and refinish varnished items $725/1210 typically stained and lacquered, plus up-charge for any paint removal.
The typical trunk we are talking about was for shipping clothing, bedding and other personal effects. They are often called “Trunk Footlocker or Steamer Trunks”. They typically:
- Banded on outside with wood strips and metal connectors.
- Outsides between wood have stamped metal or canvas.
- Frequently have rust on the metal
- Heavy lock mechanisms for the lid
- Leather handles for the ends, often rotted away
- Interiors that have been covered with wallpaper looking material.
- Tops can be flat or camel-back crowned.
- Exterior wrappings are to be stripped and finished with clear lacquer. Textured metal sheeting frequently shows some original coloration in the metal stampings.
- Wood exterior wrappings are stripped, wiped with stain or left natural and clear lacquer.
See Photo Gallery section on Steamer Trunks for many more examples.
= Exterior only strip and clear finish varnished items $700/1200, averaging $950 plus repairs and interiors “as is” after moisture damage.
The unit normally requires stripping before we can make final recommendations on how to refinish the exterior.
- New leather handles require grinding away the current rivets etc. $200
- New leather belts and retainers $400
- Lid supports (don't use as kids toy box for safety reasons) $200
- Interior paper removed during stripping, with some possible glue residue $150
- Interior clear coat finished $250, whether to be upholstered or not to include inside lid. Seals out any musty smell.
- Interior ½” padded upholstery on semi-removable panels $750 with 3yard fabric, base only
- Paint removal and cleanup extra.
- ALL repairs quoted separately.
10059 Hemlock Drive, Overland Park, Kansas 66212;
Off of 103rd Street, Hemlock is 1st east of Antioch or 1st west of Lowell Ave west of Metcalf; and turn north up curvy Hemlock Drive 1/2 mile.
This is a residence. Please park in driveway. Respect the neighbors.
They are shown in the left column of this and every page.
Cash, Check, or Credit Card shown
in the left column of this and every page.
Down-Payments are required on all orders.
- Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, this document was created and written by staff of the Wood Works, Inc. and therefore is protected by applicable copyright laws. The information presented here is based on years of industry experience in addition to information obtained from publicly available sources, including company websites, industry peers and industry publications. There may be inaccuracies and information that has become outdated since this white paper was originally written. This information is intended strictly for informational purposes.
- Reproduction of this document in whole or part may be done without written approval but must reference this document as a source and display one of the following URLs as the location to obtain the full report: http://www.thewoodworksinc.com or http://www.themovingclaims.com. Thank you!
- The Wood Works, Inc. Corporate Logo holds a national trademark. The Corporate Name of "The Wood Works, Inc." holds a national service mark. Accordingly, neither can be used by another for financial gain.
The entire website/s of www.TheWoodWorksInc.com and www.TheWWs.com and www.TheMovingClaims.com are copyrighted and should not be used by others in the trade in any form without explicit written permission.